Most of you would know that Kilburn High Road was referred as the ‘Music Mile’. Very few of you know that Kilburn High Road has hosted a large number of cinemas. Today only one is open! These old Cinemas have mostly been destroyed however some still provide a distinct character to the High Road.
1. “The Electric Palace”, later “The Cosy Corner” Cinema at 10-10a Kilburn High Road (21st April 1910- 1916)
Attended by Royalty nonetheless… Learn more here.
2 “The Biograph Cinema” at 248 Kilburn High Road (1910-1917) -600 seats Learn more here
3. ‘The Kilburn Empire’ (now the Marriott Hotel) not built as a cinema the Kilburn Empire started showing films from 1927. It became ‘The Essoldo’ from 1949 to 1971, then ‘Classic Cinema’ from 1971 to 1975, then ‘Broadway Theatre’ from 1976 to 1981 . The building was demolished in 1994. Learn more here.
4. ‘The Grange Cinema’ (1914 to 1974) at 234 Kilburn High Road, then the National and now the home of UKCG Church. It’s now a grade II listed building Learn more here
5. ‘The Gaumont State’ ( 1937- 1990) Once the largest Cinema in Europe with 4004 seats, then a Bingo Hall and now Ruach City Church. The most remarkable landmark in Kilburn and a grade II listed building. Learn more here, here and here. The last film showing was in 1990 in the Odeon Cinema that occupied the former restaurant of the State.
6. ‘Envoy’ cinema (1937 to 1955) then the ‘Classic Cinema’ (1955-1984) at 405 Kilburn High Road. Demolished now a Housing Association block of flats and Tesco Express. Learn more here
7 ‘Tricycle Cinema‘ (1998 to 2018) then the ‘Kiln Cinema‘. Only Cinema still open today. Learn more here
So Kilburn Hih Road had 7 Cinemas in its history, but a few more at a very short distance
8. Maida Vale Picture House (1913-1940), now a mosque at 140 Maida Vale and a listed building. Learn more here
9. Cinematograph Theatre (1909-1941) 254 to 256 Belsize Road. Later Decca Recording Ltd from 1981 now short-lets apartments. Learn more here.